Here, as promised are some more experiments with kaleidoscope canes. I've also made more flower canes, and made some beads I'm rather pleased with - and some I'm not so pleased with!
I thought I'd start with one I think came out rather well. A few tiny air holes but I should be able to deal with them when I use the cane though I'm not sure yet what I'll use it for - it's quite small and I don't want to reduce it much or all the detail will go.
Ok, you can laugh - I did. I'm not sure what exactly I did wrong here but kaleidoscope it ain't!! That one went into the scrap clay bag. Scrap clay is useful, I've made a lot of lentil swirl beads from bits of scrap, and it makes a good base for the pillow beads I've made using various cane slices.
These haven't been varnished or polished yet and I'm not sure of the quality. I've sanded them lots but they just aren't very smooth so I've yet to decide what to do with them.
The first beads I made with this method were better but I messed up drilling holes and some of them cracked - so I'm keeping this necklace:
The previous beads were a larger version of these and the small beads I made to go with them are fine so they can be used with something else.
Flower canes, here is one before reduction, with its various components,
and here it is reduced to several different sizes, I'm pleased with this one.
This one seemed really promising, but went a bit wonkely when I reduced it!
I think It is worth keeping though. I may reduce some of it even more and use it in a kaleidoscope cane.
I'm really enjoying myself trying out all these new skills and techniques. I'm finding inspiration in books and tutorials and hope over time to produce better and better work. I hope soon I'll get some jewellery into my Folksy shop. So far most of the jewellery I have produced has gone into the Arteria exhibition but when that closes what hasn't sold can go into the Folksy shop.