Welcome to my blog. I hope you'll stay awhile, leave a comment, let me know what you think.

Thursday 25 March 2010

New Ideas

At the moment I'm experimenting with some new techniques in jewellery making - notably polymer clay.  It's great fun and easier than it looks to achieve beautiful effects.  It's also easy to make a muddy mess!  I'm sure I'll find a use for all the scrap clay.
This was my first effort
 These beads were made with a jellyroll cane.  It's very simple, made by layering 2 colours of thinly rolled clay, and rolling it up, then cutting it up.  I made some of it into a triangle shape, and used up the leftover bits by making a few bicone beads (at the front of the photo)
As you can see, I had some trouble varnishing them - I did it eventually by making another cardboard stand with narrower spaces so the pins stayed put. 
I realise now,  from Maxine Veronica,  that I need to get cocktail sticks or toothpicks, and use some of that scrap clay for a stand to hold up the sticks.
I've also since discovered some rather clever wax polish that buffs them nicely and is a good alternative to varnish.
I've posted this batch of beads off to my 9yr old granddaughter who also likes to make jewellery.
My next attempt wound up looking nothing like the picture in the book but ended up looking really nice so I've made those up into a necklace.  I'll post a picture of it later, and will keep you up to date with my efforts. 

12 comments:

MinXtures said...

That looks like a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing the finished pics

maricesworld said...

Lovely start to your blog, your grand daughter is very lucky getting all your new beads x

Clare'sCreations said...

Well done for getting started, looking forward to more, Clare x

Jo Clarke said...

Great start, keep it coming.

Nats Nest said...

very clever -i'm sure your granddaughter will love them! welcome to the world of blogging!

hlimbrick said...

Looks good! I don't get on very well with polymer clay, though made a few cute rings last summer.. x

FairlyGirly said...

Welcome to the world of blogging. I've become a follower. Have a great weekend.

BeadyPool said...

Welcome to the world of blogging Vx

Anonymous said...

I am sure your grandaughter will love them!

Sugarmice said...

They are really good! I make miniture trees out of scrap clay, as it always seems to be brown or green lol :)

Ruth said...

>some rather clever wax polish that buffs them nicely and is a good alternative to varnish.

Just wondering if you would mind sharing the name of the (UK) wax polish.

Unknown said...

Ruth it's Renaissance Wax, it's used by museums to protect exhibits. You can buy it quite easily at many craft outlets. I like it better than varnish though I have to use varnish when I've used paints that need sealing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails