I've had an idea for a new bag design for quite a long time. I made a larger bag from felted mohair fabric and had an idea for incorporating the handles into the bag but when I made it I went disastrously wrong and the holes for the handles are uneven. I kept the bag as I really like it despite the wonky handles and it has been much admired when I have been out and about.
I decided I would make more of them but find a way to do the handles properly. One way to do this is to make the handles separately, which I have chosen to do with the bag I am currently making.
This bag is much smaller than the mohair bag, and I'm making it with linen and with a silk lining. I have made some felt for the handles and my first attempt to sew them together looked really messy but fortunately they were also too big so I've cut them down and am hopefully going to get this bag finished today.
Here are the pieces of bag I am working on. I've used a magnetic closure that is sewn into the lining so it can't be seen.
While I've been writing this Monty the cat has taken up residence in his favourite chair - which just happens to be the chair at the desk where I sew.
I don't think I have the heart to move him just yet! I'll have a cup of tea and decide what to do next.